Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Surgery, Backpacks, and Splints

My daughter is recovering nicely from her tonsillectomy...with no complications (thank you Jesus!).

Where I work I didn't have enough PTO earned to take the day off so my husband had planned on taking our daughter to surgery and calling me as soon as it was over. I asked my boss if I could take off early if I skipped lunch and he had said yes the day before.

On my way to work the morning of surgery my boss called me on my cell phone and said he wanted me to take the day off and be with my daughter. I explained I didn't have any PTO to use and he said it was more important to be their with her and that he would just give me the day off! I almost cried!! (Thank you Jesus again!). I drove to the surgi-center and arrived just in time to see her being wheeled to surgery with my husband by her side holding her hand. Her face lit up when she saw me and we got to say a quick prayer (the 3 of us) before they wheeled her away. Surgery lasted about 30 minutes and recovery was about 1 hour.

She suffers from night terrors and it seemed like she was having one while she was coming out of the anesthesia. Looking around wildly but not seeing anything, screaming and lashing out and talking about stuff not related to the present time and place (typical for a night terror). The nurse didn't know what to think of it but my husband and I calmly explained that she wasn't fully awake and that it was "normal." She finally calmed down and then became a cranky little girl and then we knew she was going to be just fine.

She had almost a full week to recover before school started this past Monday. She's in 2nd grade and our son is in 3rd grade.

The first day of school our son came home with scrapes and bruises...scrapes from skidding into the ground on the playground before school even started, and a bump on his forehead from running on Nana's hardwood floors and running into her wall (Nana's is where they get to go after school until I can pick them up).

The second day of school went well, and then today, the third day of school the school nurse called me at 8:30 (1 hour into the day) to tell me our daughter had fallen off of the slide and hurt her arm. I talked to both the nurse and my daughter for about 5 minutes and decided to go with the nurse's suggestion of wrapping and splinting her arm and checking on her throughout the day (this is a rough one for me...my nature would be to drive to the school and have a look myself...but I have come to appreciate and trust the nurse as she as seen my kids quite often during the school year). Now that we're home we think that she may have strained it, but doesn't appear to be fractured, or worse (no bruising or swelling, just mild pain)...we'll continue to monitor it over the next few days.

I added a picture to my blog...a portrait that my daughter drew of me. She says it looks just like me. = )

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sarah's picture of you looks more like you than any picture I could have drawn of you. Looks like someone has talent!

Michael and I have been watching the Olympics (the only sports we ever watch) and this, among many other things that we see, sparks conversation around what our offspring will be inclined to do. Between the two of us and our exotic gene pool, ANYTHING is a possibility. How exciting is that? Now - if we can just be sensitive enough to notice the tendencies... Any pointers?