Saturday, August 9, 2008

If I only had 6 months to live...

Part of my "job duties" where I work include creating a daily motivational e-mail. The daily collection includes some cool quote that I've come across, some odd holiday or observance on that date, and often times a recipe and a cool picture or graphic. In order to find the 20-22 quotes I need to publish a month's worth of e-mail I read through 100's of quotes trying to find something appropriate for the work place...something that is motivational to the masses...something that is not too spiritual (as we all have varying beliefs), something not too gender related (we are a very diverse group), something not too cultural, race, or income specific (again we are a diverse group), and something that doesn't conjure up feelings of doubt. It's tough...there are a ton of online quotation sites I search through...any way...one impact the daily deluge of motivational quotes is having on me is calling my attention to the passing days that are also taking with them the chance to live out my dreams, passions, and talents. I always seem to default to the old excuses of there isn't enough time, energy or money to pursue them. So what if I only had 6 months to live, what would I do differently? I would hate to hear those dreaded words from some physician who can only guess what someone's remaining days are any way...why can't I just get motivated by the passions, and gifts that I already have been blessed with...the ones that are God given and never go away over the years? I am going to try to rearrange some of my priorities and start incorporating them into my life...some of them again, some of them for the first time.

Here's my list of things I would do if I only had 6 months left to live:

*Go back to Maui with my husband (this time for a month!!!)

*Take singing lessons and make a recording to leave with my kids

*Take piano or keyboard lessons with my kids and play a duet with both of them

*Take drawing lessons

*Take painting lessons and paint at least a painting a week

*Write poetry

*Read the Bible ...the whole thing

*Ride my bike at least once a week

*Write handwritten letters to all of my friends and family

*Sew fancy decorated pillows

*Paint more t-shirts for my daughter in sizes that will last her for the next 5 years

*Write a book for my kids

*Go to Yosemite Park

*Visit Crater Lake

*Find someplace where Northen Lights occur and pray that I could see them just once

*Go camping with my family some place where the sky is so dark that the stars can be seen all the way down to the horizon

*Spend a month with my mom and my dad

*Learn to knit, crochet, and embroider like my Grandmas used to do

*Maybe go back to Maui a second time, for another month (did I mention how much I love that place?)

That's all I can think of for now.

Thank you God for LIFE.
John 17:3

No comments: